- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington DC
- West Virginia
Marijuana Packaging and Labeling Requirements in California:
- Resealable if containing more than one serving.
- Opaque for edible cannabis products.
Mandatory Label Information:
- Product name and manufacturer.
- THC and CBD content.
- Packaging date.
- Intoxicating effects and potential for addiction.
- Impairment of concentration, coordination, and judgment. Advised against operating vehicles or machinery.
- Health risks associated with consumption.
- Not for use by pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Restricted to adults aged 21 and over; keep away from children.
- Universal cannabis symbol.
- Unique identifier for product tracking.
Additional Requirements for Edible Products:
- Child-resistant, opaque, and resealable containers.
- Labels to include:
- Product potency and delayed, long-lasting effects.
- Advisories against use by pregnant individuals, nursing mothers, or those on certain medications.
- Recommendations for slow and low-dose consumption.
Prohibited Label Content:
- False or misleading information.
- California county names unless 100% locally grown.
- Child-appealing designs like cartoons or candy imitations.
- The words “candy,” “candies,” or similar.
- Unproven health claims.
- “Organic” or “OCal” labels without appropriate registration.
- Marketing as an alcoholic beverage.
- Pictures of edible products.
- The California Department of Public Health is responsible for enforcing these requirements.
KSD CannabisAudit GPT
AI for analyzing California cannabis packaging compliance
– Importing certain materials such as vape batteries and cartridges may be considered Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems or ENDS under the PACT ACT, and thus may be challenging to ship.
– Intra-state transportation of cannabis products requires that businesses be registered with the state.
– Cannabis must be transported only inside of a vehicle or trailer – cannot be shipped on a plane, even within the state, as federal law supersedes state law
Label must read medical use only if for medical patients
– No cartoons, no resemblance to candy
– Prop 65 warning
– Must display state- Specific warning regarding dangers of smoking and consuming cannabis & cannabis products. A business wishing to provide a safe harbor warning must meet all applicable requirements of the Article 6 Clear and Reasonable Warnings regulations.
– Must have allergen warning
*This document is intended to serve as a guide and should not be construed as legal advice.
The symbol must be placed to the left of the text of the warning in a size no smaller than the height of the word “WARNING”. If the sign, label, or shelf tag for the product is not printed using the color yellow, the symbol may be provided in black and white.
The universal symbol for cannabis alerts people that the product contains cannabis. It must be on the primary panel of all cannabis goods sold in California. Do not alter the symbol, other than changing the size. It must be at least ½ inch by ½ inch in size.